First week of homeschool

THE GOOD

Snuggled up on the couch reading together about Native Americans. Boys asking good questions.

We gathered for our morning time and Soren runs up and says to me, "uh Fahma Boy?". Day three and the two-year-old had already picked up on the title of our book.

Reading Farmer Boy outside on a beautiful morning while the boys colored.

One-on-one connection. 

Friday morning nature hike with friends. Boys getting to play with friends.

Henrik excited about his online math.


THE BAD

Henrik asking when he would get to zoom with his real teacher and then asking to go back to Blackhawk when I informed him that I was his real teacher and this wasn't distance learning it was actual homeschool.

Ira feeling sad on the first day that he didn't have a real desk like real school.

Frustration over LA curriculum for both boys and me wondering if I chose the wrong things.

The daunting realization that I bear the entire burden of their education at this time.

So many conflicted feelings for me processing the reality of everyone else going back to school.


THE UGLY

"just pay attention, ok!"

"Ok well I don't know how else to explain this to you!" I'm pretty sure that's what all the nice homeschool moms suggest you say to your child when they're frustrated and don't get something.

Forcefully removing two-year-old from the room and asking him to just please go somewhere else.


THE BEST

Putting the boys to bed Friday night. Unprompted Henrik recites his verse from the week. Then Ira wanted to say it again. Then they both wanted to sing our morning hymn chorus. My heart warmed as I thought of the connections we made after just a week of routine and scripture and singing. And I thought..."yeah...this is going to be ok".




3 comments:

Linda said...

This sounds hard and rewarding at the same time. Love your honesty and the
time you are investing in your boys' education and training. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

leah said...

oh i love all of this - thankful for that sweet reassurance friday night through it all!

Betsy said...

Oh Em this makes me want to bawl. It sounds. so. hard. Yes, rewarding, but I think you are going to learn so much about yourself through this. If it means anything, as we start e-learning AGAIN, I have had doubts about not homeschooling them instead so I can escape the chaotic nature of 3 kids' different schedules and Zooms and expectations from 3 different grade levels. GRACE to you ALL.