Distance: Week Six (is that possible?!)

I'm hoping this is my next-to-last post with the title 'distance'. Could the restrictions really lift next week?! I'm ready.

Week six...hmm...looked like most of the other weeks. It flew by with the normal routine of school and outdoor play when possible. We waited in a rather long Starbucks line one really gloomy day for cake pops which brightened the mood. I have no use for cake pops in my life. I think they're gross. But then the boys ordered the new lemon cake pop and I was super impressed. I almost regretted not ordering one after Henrik begrudgingly gave me a taste of his.









The weekend found us enjoying beautiful weather, lots of fishing with the N kids, counting down to Soren's birthday and me spending way too long on a pie crust that ultimately was not a success. Why is baking so finicky? It's why I much prefer cooking...no recipe and you can create a fabulous meal while you make one misstep on pie crust and the whole thing feels like a waste.


And finally, the big news of week six! 
We un-enrolled our kids from the school they attend.
This quarantine has highlighted things that work super well for our family and (gasp) I have found it all mostly enjoyable. We've been drawn to the idea of homeschooling for the flexibility it offers. Who doesn't want to set their own schedule?! But it wasn't a good option for us the past two years after having Soren. 
I'm SO GLAD our kids have been at Blackhawk Christian the past two years. It is a phenomenal school with amazing teachers and staff. Seriously, I love everything about it. But I also have really loved our boys spending their days together and with me. I've been looking for some more "purpose" - something to throw myself into. The Lord has used the last several weeks to show me that, at least for the next year, I will be challenged and fulfilled by throwing myself into my kids and their education. 
I know there are trade offs. I know it will be really hard some weeks. I know they will miss out on things by not being at school. But when I look ahead to the next year, the only way forward that I have total peace about is doing their education at home. I know what they'll miss because they've been in school, but I don't yet know what we'll gain so I'm excited to discover those things as well! 
Also we're gonna save a ton of money in tuition - some of which can hopefully go to a couple fun family vacations and extra babysitter budget. :)
I have been hesitant to talk to people about this decision. I don't think anyone sees me as the homeschooling type (including myself). So I feel like I have to defend my decision. I'm sure it's not true, but it's how I feel. I have never wanted to be associated with the homeschool community at large (not speaking of dear friends who I really like) for various reasons. But, alas, I will let go of my pride and be thankful I get to decide what kind of homeschooling family we become. 

More to come on this subject later I'm sure...



4 comments:

Betsy said...

Yes! You can keep your individuality and uniqueness. You don't become part of a herd because of this one schooling decision. Excited for you and what treasures and gifts the next year will bring!!

Linda said...

Your pie crust looks great and I love the glass pie pan! Sorry it didn't turn out as expected- I'd like to hear more about that. We would make a good team, you do the cooking and I'll do the baking :)

leah said...

i'm really excited about this new adventure and i think it will really suit you and your family well - looking forward to seeing how this journey play out uniquely for YOUR family.

sarah.flyingkites said...

Well, CONGRATULATIONS! I love that you are trying this new educational adventure. I think you will do amazing and I love how the quarantine confirmed this decision! Excited to follow more about this! Your last couple paragraphs made me smile.

And, ok! I don't know that I have ever had a Starbucks CakePop before, but last week my friend dropped 5 off to my kiddos and me. I looked in the bag and saw 1 lemon cakepop. Knowing the boys would groan about that one, I gave it a try. Oh my word, SO GOOD! Lol, I couldn't believe it!