First Lake Trip for 2020




We finished up school and headed to Pentwater for the first time this year. May in northern Michigan is pretty unpredictable weather-wise so we were pleasantly surprised to have warmth and sun most of the time! What a gift. The air was crisp and fresh and we were all so happy to be back.

We were headed for the beach one day and I looked in the mirror and thought "wow, I look like a mom". I don't know why, it just kind of struck me funny that day.






So fun to adventure around the dunes with the boys! There were also lots of fishing adventures back at the house with dad and Devin. Soren loves my dad so much and is often found following him around.



Ira catching this large bass on his little plastic pole was a highlight of the trip. Such surprise and joy!




Henrik continues his fishing obsession and spends a surprising amount of hours with a pole in his hand. He knows the names of all the various baits lures and other fishing lingo. I love this for him.






Soren was a handful, but a fun one. He has no fear and thinks he can do whatever his brothers do. I finally gave him a broken pole and tied a hook-less bait to the end which entertained him for quite so time without me having to worry about a hook to his face. He only fell off the dock once the whole trip which is actually kind of a miracle.



Probably my biggest highlight was also the boy's highlight. They mastered the paddle boat themselves and suddenly had new independence to go out fishing on their own. They were so cute loading up their tackle and poles and heading out. They worked well together and I just felt so. proud. I don't know why, but this new thing that was helping them build confidence while having fun just warmed my heart so much.


We weren't up there alone but I'm sad to say I mostly just photographed my kids. There were some fun evening games, Kaitlin and Bella serenading us on the dock and beach, and good conversations. I also did quite a bit of running and logged about 15 miles in the 5 days we were there. 

I did catch sweet Truman reading to Soren first thing in the morning. My boys have some really amazing cousins to look up to!


4 comments:

Linda said...

So fun to see your pictures and read this recap. The boys in the paddle boat and Ira's bass (what are the chances?!) are such great memories. Praise the Lord that Soren only fell in the lake one time!!

leah said...

Oh these pictures are dreamy. Thankful you had this time. Soren is just too much!!! 😍

Betsy said...

Emily! Ira catching a bass with that toy pole?? You have got to be kidding. Shaking heads all around here - since we can pull in nothing but measly panfish most Julys! I'm happy the boys are getting more freedom and finding out what they love. Just think - once Soren can join them in the paddleboat, you and Devin can just put up your feet all day long! (Except when windows need cleaned and seaweed needs scooped, of course!)

sarah.flyingkites said...

This looks like Heaven on earth. Wow.

Your boys are too cute!! And love the paddleboat/fishing picture...precious!