If I were my neighbor...

I think we all make assumptions about our neighbors (as in the people who live next to us). In my case I have people that live above, beside, and across a small yard from me. Some I've barely caught a glimpse of, others I've ran into from time to time and said a quick hello. Honestly though, I don't know the names of a single neighbor of mine.

But while I may not know their names, I certainly have some theories about them. I've made assumptions about who they are, what they believe, and what they do for a living. For instance, the family of 3 that lives above me... She (the wife), I have decided, cuts hair. She often wears black and could resemble being dressed as a salon worker, probably Great Cuts or a place like that. He (the husband) carries a backpack to a 8-5, so I'm thinking he's a geek squad guy somewhere. They have a son who looks about 5, who they are often clearly annoyed with. My best guess is she got pregnant, and a year or so later they got married. They're always nice to me though...overall, they could be found endearing (maybe not the kid).

Then there's the woman, probably in her 50s, who lives with her daughter, probably in her 20s. Their relationship is easily psychoanalyzed as being close and conflictual. The type of mother/daughter combo that share every aspect of their lives and can often be seen bickering back and forth.

I could go on about the other people surrounding me...but I have to wonder what my neighbors think about me? So, if I were my neighbor, this is what I would think...

Profession: There's a good chance, my neighbors could think I'm a flight attendant. At least once a week I could be seen rolling a carry-on size suitcase down the sidewalk to my car. I usually return 2-3 days later, or sometimes am gone for a week or more. I come and go sporadically, so people could assume I either travel for my job a lot or am a flight attendant (maybe I just think that because it's something I've always wanted to try).

Or, sticking with the fact that I seem to mostly travel on weekends, I could definitely be pegged as being in a long-distance relationship, where I have to fly to see my boyfriend on weekends. That could be a logical conclusion, especially since there isn't a guy who is seen coming and going from my place.

If I were my neighbor (and a huge stalker) I would be confused by something...I would wonder why this girl seems to always drive different vehicles. The majority of the time I drive my personal vehicle, but at least 1-2 days a week I could be seen pulling up or leaving in a work car, not always the same one. I tend to know my neighbors by what they drive, so I could definitely keep people guessing in that department.

The couple above me probably think that I'm nice (I always make an effort to smile and say hi), but that I play my music too loud (because I do). But in all fairness, their kid is really loud. The group of guys across from me probably think I'm a snob, because I tend to pretend I don't see them, mainly because they make me a bit uneasy. But in all fairness, they definitely aren't friendly either. And the lady and her daughter probably think I'm a big shopper because I usually happen to be carrying a LOFT or Banana Republic bag when I see them (I reuse the bags from those stores to carry things to and from work). I'm not seen hosting loud events, or leaving around midnight dressed for the club, so they probably know I'm not a party girl. All in all, they probably think I just work and shop all the time and of course, visit my boyfriend on weekends.

Maybe as the weather gets nicer I'll actually get to know some of my neighbors, but knowing me, it's not all that likely. I tend to let others make the first move to initiate a relationship (may be sad, but true). Hopefully at least one of them has gotten the sense I'm a Christian, maybe by what I don't do, or maybe by seeing me cart my Bible out the door on a Sunday or Wednesday morning. Or maybe, my neighbors are nothing like me and could care less to observe or analyze the girl next door. But how sad to live a life without constant analysis of strangers...

11 comments:

Sandra said...

very intriguing!! Makes me wonder what my neighbors think of me(as I don't know them either).
All though boy Elijah and Caden have met them when out playing one day:).

sarah.flyingkites said...

Funny, funny post (not sure if that's what you were going for, but it cracked me up).

You are one perceptive gal (Infact, I've heard a couple stories about that from my sister lately :))

We love getting to know our neighbors. Make the first move...I dare you! :)

Daveana said...

Loved this post! I could totally picture everything! I was thinking that I would do the same thing, but I did live in an apartment for a year and never once tried to peg out the people who lived beside me. But then they were all college aged...

Happy week to you!

Ashley Neuen said...

If you were a author I bet you could come up with very interesting and creative characters! Ever think of writing a novel :)

Christen Leigh said...

What a fun post. Hmmm very intriguing....

Sara Huber said...

This makes me smile because I'm definitely a neighbor-watcher. Must be in our blood...

leah said...

this is AWESOME. i love the way you think...completely cracks me up! wish i could neighbor watch with you again...remember how we used to watch/make-fun-of people walking down the stellar street of mars? :) those were the days...

Betsy said...

Why not host a big neighborhood luau come spring, Em? That way you can all get to know each other!

--John.and.Amy said...

Ooooh, I never thought of the lady above you being a hair stylist... definitely pegged the husband as a computer techy kind of guy. And the lady and the daughter... the lady is crazy about animals. She started talking to us all the time once we got our puppy. I could NOT figure out the lady who lived above us. I only ever saw her in workout clothes leaving at random times of the day... any thoughts on her???

emilykate said...

Ha, Amy I love your input. The girl above you guys I have pegged as working a night job and has to sleep during the day. Not sure why, it just seems she has an odd schedule. I'm guessing nurse...so funny. And even though I barely saw you guys, your empty apartment is sad...

Betsy, initiating and hosting a block party is one of the last things I would do. Wow...maybe I should, but so not me. :) Maybe it'd be different if I had a roommate/husband.

Marcelle said...

These neighbor comments remind me of our next door neighbor that Ron and I affectionately call Mrs. Kravitz (after Gladys from the show Bewitched). She knows everything we do and doesns't miss a thing that goes on in the neighborhood. You might think she is old but is actually young with 3 daughters! Marsha has renamed one of her former neighbors who remains as one of her best friends;calls her Gladys because she has the same traits (actual name is Donna).