Goal One on Christmas Eve

I realized that starting something January first is a lot like starting a diet on Monday morning (the whole "I'll start tomorrow" concept).

So today I deactivated my facebook. I really am on facebook too much. And at times, facebook can cause unnecessary anxiety in my life. It's true. Remember the story about my friend who felt like loser from seeing a photo on facebook of her ex with his new girlfriend? Well I've had similar scenarios play out because of facebook, just seeing things that raise questions in my mind (which usually turn out to be not what they appeared), but mainly just things I'd never have to think about if I didn't see them on facebook (kind of the whole 'ignorance is bliss' concept).

So no facebook for at least a couple weeks. I know this doesn't sound long, but since fb is one of my main ways of communicating, I don't think a permanent fast is reasonable or necessary (and honestly, I'd like to at least be back on for my birthday and Qatar trip). I am interested to see what I'll do when I have some down time instead of get on facebook.

It will also be interesting to see what other things I come up with to start or cut out of my life...

Anyways, I'm home in my favorite spot on the couch by the Christmas tree (parent's house, not mine...I put up zero Christmas decorations this year). Sara & family will be here soon and as I look out the windows behind the tree, a steady stream of light snow is falling - the perfect Christmas Eve.

Merry Christmas!

5 comments:

leah said...

great to hear from you! glad you made it home! :) have a great time with your fam.

and fret not, i'll update on you on any interesting facebook status' ;)

love you!

sarah.flyingkites said...

Merry Christmas!

Great goal..that would be HARD!

Betsy said...

Proud of you Em and will be interested to see what interesting ways you find to redeem your time. Also love the new picture on your header - very fun and a nice reminder, I'm sure, in the midst of snow and sweaters.

Christen Leigh said...

Hmmm you just inspired me to do the same...although my facebook fast will probably only be a week or two. I have been wasting an unseemly amount of time on facebook this break, and I am starting to feel like my brain cells are dying. :)

Thanks for the inspiration! Get ready for fun tomorrow night..... doin' that thing you do!!

Daveana said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the new picture up top! Did I mention that I like it? So cute!