1: The Home Team

On this Thanksgiving Day 2010, I'm thankful for my home team (appropriately so I think). I'm not the originator of the home team concept. Yep, this one too comes from Shauna N. in Bittersweet like so many other things I quote.

"Everybody has a home team: it's the people you call when you get a flat tire or when something terrible happens. It's the people who, near or far, know everything that's wrong with you and love you anyway."

I'm obsessed with my home team. The ones who as they browse my blog can read between the lines. In fact, the ones who have read between the lines and called me out on it. My home team consists of family and friends, the ones who love me though I've given them hundreds of reasons not to. They're the ones who want to know what's really going on and how I'm really doing. The ones who can tell when there's something I'm not saying. The sisters who can take one look at my face and know my mood. The friends who won't make eye contact because they know we're both thinking the same thing and if we dare meet each other's gaze we'll die laughing at the most inappropriate time.

This home of team of mine has proven themselves most loyal. Not only will they step up to the plate in a time of need, they'll go to bat for me like none other.

"These are the people that cry when you cry."

Just a few weeks ago, my friend (a definite home team-er) and I left somewhere, got in my car, and sat for awhile. As she waited silently for my inevitable sobs to make it to the surface, she was crying along with me within seconds. Having a friend who is willing to grieve for and with you, eases the pain of the most dire circumstance. Which really is the whole purpose of the home team.

"These are your people, your middle-of-the-night, no-matter-what people."

When I have news, sad or exciting or frustrating or outrageous news, my home teamers are the first on my mental list to call. The ones I can't wait to tell about something great happening, because they also rejoice with me. The ones who I can tell my deepest hopes to because they won't ever make me feel dumb if they don't pan out. These are the people I don't have to regret sharing vulnerabilities with.

So to my home team: I love you and I'm so thankful for you. God placed each of you in my life, some since day one and some only recently, but each one of you playing a most important role. I look forward to times where I can be the one to step up as part of your home team and be your "no-matter-what person".

Happy Thanksgiving. :)

3 comments:

Christen Leigh said...

I loved all of these thanksgiving posts!

I also love this post. I like the home team concept.

Love you and have an amazing rest of the weekend with family!

Linda said...

Beautifully said!

leah said...

ditto girlio. have LOVED the thanksgiving posts. and i LOVE you.

excited to see you IN PERSON soon...this email/phone stuff just doesn't quite cut it.