College...


is officially over.

Yesterday I graduated from Purdue with a B.S. in Youth, Adult, & Family Services (aka Social Work). This graduation comes approximately 3.5 years after my high school graduation and just 2.5 years after transferring to Purdue from Indiana. So I guess I do have to give IU some credit for 2 semesters of my fine college education. While I'll always be fond of IU, I'm definitely a Boiler at heart. And how could I not be seeing as I'm the 5th child in our family to walk across the stage in Elliot Hall of Music (yes, my parents are proud).

As much as I was skeptical if it would be worth it to walk, I'm definitely glad I did. It was a great experience and brought a lot of closure to my college experience. I would have to say I'm pretty satisfied with my college experience as a whole. I experienced the dorms at IU, two different college campuses, the stereotypical frat scene, the less stereotypical Marsteller scene, and developed the most meaningful friendships I've ever had.

As I was sitting in Elliot listening to the Purduettes sing some sort of sappy song about future and hope...it hit me that college was the best thing that ever happened to me. Sure, the education, the degree, knowledge, ability to get a good job, are all great perks that I would encourage everyone to pursue...but college was so much more than classes and my GPA (which is good since not once did I actually care about my GPA). College was where I grew up, where I started my walk with Jesus, where I learned hard lessons, where I figured out who the heck I was and what my passions were. College was a unique time of life where I would walk to class with my iPod among thousands of peers from every country, race, religion, sexuality. A place where people streak through lecture halls, wear sweats all day, and stay up all night. Never again will I be in an atmosphere like that. Hmm...so now that I'm depressed about how lame the real world is...here are some pictures of the big day...


Dad and I walking on to campus before graduation.



Elliot



Mom and dad happened to be sitting right next to the entrance I came in at. Pretty lucky in a massive autitorium.



Ha, mom snapped the picture a little too soon. We got a better one next, but this one makes me laugh, so here I am, with my diploma...or should I say the letter promising me a diploma.



Mom snapped photos until the last...turns out candid ones go a little bit better.

So here I sit, signing off as a college grad, and officially in the work world (well, not for a couple more weeks). So good night friends, and Boiler Up!

7 comments:

Linda said...

Fun times..good memories..reasons to give thanks!

leah said...

how fun! i'm so excited for you...glad you enjoyed it!

love you...enjoy you last christmas break.

Amber said...

congrats Em - I often tell people that the best advice I ever got when I was considering colleges was "where can you become who you want to be." The grades and degree becomes almost secondary to the growing experience, relationshps and end result - don't they!!

It's been neat to be an observor of seeing the great things God's done in your life and the promise He still goes forward with you from here. love you.

Christen Leigh said...

Aw I was hoping you'd do a graduation post--how fun! :)

Love you and congrats!

By the way, we received our gateway calender for next year, and I see you are featured with coffee in hand.... thatta girl!

Jodi said...

Oh man Em! Welcome to the real world...so glad that God made you a Boilermaker at heart. My college days wouldn't have been the same without you!
Love ya and congrats!

Molly said...

Thanks for this, Em. It was very touching (can i say that??:)) and brought back my own memories. Love, Molly

Tricky said...

Wow...I almost forgot you hadn't graduated (officially) yet! Glad you enjoyed the ceremony. Oh college days....how I love you so!! Hope you are well Em, love you!