for tonight...



i'm missing home. i'm missing my mom. i think this is really the first time it's hit me since moving in august. i'm not sure if it was the leftovers she had sent me with a note on them in her very recognizable handwriting. or if it was eating her food, but not being in the company of my parents. i half considered jumping in the car to spend the evening relaxing in mom's living room and devouring some sort of amazing dessert.

the move and new job and coming of fall all came in such a furry, i sort of forgot all about summer. it was such a good summer living at home. although, by now it seems so far away as if it almost was a dream. isn't it weird how time and memories mess with our mind so much?


so in all my headstrong independence...this week i'm lamenting that i'm not at home. just for tonight i wish i could rewind back to summer and sit on the deck with mom and dad. or even by myself, knowing they're right inside. just for tonight i'd like to lay on the couch and have mom play with my hair while i say outlandish things to alarm her. :) just for tonight i'd like to stop acting grown up and have my mom take care of me.

hopefully by tomorrow i'll be ready to be act my age again...because it turns out these days i don't have much of a choice.

6 comments:

Linda said...

Wow!! I just finished all my office work for tonight and decided to check if you posted. What a surprise! Just because I sent a few leftovers?? Seriously, it was so kind and made me smile and miss you too! But I am sorry to say- there are no amazing desserts around here(we don't need the calories)and it has been too cold to be on the patio :( Next time you're home I would love to make you something...french silk pie,chocolate dumplings, chocolate crunch icecream pie....:)

leah said...

whoa...linda, i think that i'll be there too...chocolate crunch ice cream pie?! wowzers.

i got a big smile about your outlandish comments causing alarm...i think i've witnessed that a couple of times...:) haha.

you're both great!!

xc said...

Your post made me smile too.It's neat to learn after the last child leaves home it wasn't such a bad place after all. We've had similar experiences with Andrew!! God is good!! Praying for you, and think of you often.

Love,
Bev

sarah.flyingkites said...

Awww, that was SUCH a sweet post! My favorite part: "while i say outlandish things to alarm her" I can just picture that - too funny!

Sounds like you've got yourself a great mom!

Hope you have a less-lonely weekend!

Molly said...

Em, I just checked your blog. I was about four posts behind. I guess seeing you every day makes me forget I should still check it:). I got teary on the "mom post." I can second those sentiments. I still have those every once and a while.

Christen Leigh said...

Oh my goodness.... I agree! Your comment about saying "outlandish things" to alarm your Mom was quite funny. :)

I am indeed missing you a bit right now-- I hear you went gallivanting through the woods yesterday? Fun fun. Keep Rach in line! ;)