love/hate relationship

so i've been in a blogging mood lately. maybe because i've been in a contemplative mood and they seem to go hand in hand. i am usually a very contemplative person, but over the last several months, that part of me seemed to die a little. fear not, it's back in full force.

but anyways...

about this new book...well first of all, i'm actually reading it. i really enjoy it and i really like the author and her style of writing. HOWEVER...i also secretly loathe her and her stupid book. as each chapter goes by, i can't help but feel she has stolen my book idea. this is the exact piece of literature i was wanting to someday write. and she kind of even reminds me of myself in some ways.

grrr.

but i'll leave you with my favorite quote thus far...

"This is what I've come to believe about change: it's good, in the way that childbirth is good, and heartbreak is good, and failure is good. By that I mean that it's incredibly painful, exponentially more so if you fight it, and also that it has the potential to open you up, to open life up, to deliver you right into the palm of God's hand, which is where you wanted to be all along, except that you were too busy pushing and pulling your life into exactly what you thought it should be."



it's safe to say this isn't the last you'll be hearing from her.

but for now...early flight tomorrow morning for a long awaited girls trip to arizona! a trip i really need to go pack for.

6 comments:

Linda said...

Great quote! What's the book? Safe travels and hope you feel better...

T and M said...

Hey Emily! I just found your blog and read this post. So...are you reading Cold Tangerines? I just finished it, and that quote sounded vaguely familiar. I actually quoted Shauna Niequist on my blog last week ( :

BTW, I just started her sequel Bittersweet and it's better than her 1st book. It addresses all the questions I had about her writing.I guess this whole comment is kind of irrelevant if the quote wasn't from cold tangerines ( :

mandy

Betsy said...

Sounds like a good read, especially since the "C" word isn't your favorite thing. Tell us as much as you want to about it!

T and M said...

Oh! just saw the picture of the Bittersweet book on your post that I didn't see last night. so, obviously i now know which book you were quoting. feeling kinda dumb ( :

emilykate said...

Mandy, I actually added the photo after you had posted the first time...so no need to feel dumb. :)

Thanks for leaving a comment. I'm LOVING this book as well!

Sara Huber said...

oooh....like the new look! And that chocolate on the book cover is making me hungry.